Dates, engagements, and weddings are some occasions in which wines play a significant role. The brand, the flavor, and the temperature of the wines give the celebration a taste of success. However, you need to serve the wines chilled on time. Here’s how to chill wine fast.
5 Things to Remember When Chilling Wines
Take note of these things before you jump into the five ways how to chill wine fast.
- Every wine has its ideal chilling temperature.
- The chilling temperature of the wine makes it tastes best.
- Never put your wine inside your freezer. Too cold wines taste awful; you might forget the wine and get an iced wine instead. Also, the freezer’s cold temperature may cause the wine bottle to explode.
- If you prefer to use a pour sprout, freeze it for at least 2 hours before using it.
- You can use chilled wine glasses for warm wine.
8 Types of Wines and Their Ideal Temperatures
Usually, it takes around 3 hours to chill the wine and reach its ideal temperature. Here are the types of wines and their perfect temperature.
|Type of Wine||Ideal Temperature|
|Full-Bodied Reds||60-65°F or 16-18°C|
|Fortified Wines||60-65°F or 16-18°C|
|Light Bodied Red Wines||55°F or 13°C|
|Full-Bodied Whites||50-60°F or 10-16°C|
|Dessert Wines||50-60°F or 10-16°C|
|Lighter Wines||45-50°F or 7-10°C|
|Fruitier Wines||45-50°F or 7-10°C|
|Sparkling Wines||40-50°F or 4-10°C|
Now that you have a quick overview and the basics of wines let’s dive into the number of ways how to chill wine fast.
5 Effective Ways on How to Chill Wines Fast
Sometimes we get excited about the event that we forget to chill out the celebratory wines. Also, when your friends and guests bring a couple of bottles of wine, you need to chill. Don’t panic if these things happen in your event.
It may take a couple of hours to chill the wine, but there are tips and tricks that you can do to beat the time. Here’s how to chill wines fast.
Method 1. Chilled Metal Wine Stones Method
This method is one of the hassle-free and effective methods that you can use to beat wine’s chilling time without compromising its ideal temperature and flavor while keeping the wine chilled for 45 minutes to an hour.
The metal wine stones are made up of quality food-grade stainless steel. You can use this with your vodka, scotch, or brandy. They are similar to ice cubes, but ice cubes may dilute and completely change the wine’s flavor. So, how to chill wine fast using this method?
- Put the metal wine stones in your freezer: Keep it inside the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Use a timer to keep track of the time: You must ensure that metal wine stones are only kept in the freezer for 3 hours. Otherwise, it may have ice frosts, affecting your wine’s flavor and aroma.
- Take out the metal wine stones from your freezer: Depending on how you do your wine, you may put the metal wine stones in your wine glass first or put them in a container or a bowl.
- Get your warm wine and pour the wine into the glass
- Put four pieces of metal wine stones into a half-full wine glass: You can add additional metal wine stones if you want your wine colder than the ideal temperature.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes for the best chill effect: Do not immediately drink the wine after you put in the metal wine stones. The wines may still be warm and have an alcoholic taste that you won’t enjoy.
Here’s an actual review of the metal wine stones:
Method 2. Ice Bath Method
Most wine drinkers will recommend this method when asked how to chill wine fast. If you are wondering how long it will take for the wine to have that chill effect, it will only take the wine about 15 minutes maximum, and you can start drinking it.
Here’s the secret to how to chill wine fast using this method.
- Get a dishpan: The dishpan’s size must be enough for the wine to fit.
- Put the ice into the dishpan: Do not just add a regular tray of ice cubes into the dishpan. Instead, put enough ice and spread it evenly in the dishpan.
- Pour some water into the dishpan: Put enough water into the dishpan. The ice might not be able to cool the water.
- Put the wine bottle into the dishpan: Position that wine into the dishpan horizontally.
- Leave the wine bottle for 10 minutes to 15 minutes
- Serve the wine after 15 minutes
Method 3. Corkcicle Method
This method is similar to putting a metal wine stone into the wine. The only catch, though, is the metal or plastic with a thermal gel inside it is connected to the cork. Its length is almost as similar to the wine bottle.
- Freeze the corkcicle: Keep the corkcicle in the freezer for at least 2 hours before using it. The longer you keep the corkcicle in the freezer, the better. However, what we do not want to happen is the corkcicle might get iced. So, if you prefer to keep it longer than the ideal time, check it now and then and ensure that there are no ice flakes or frosts on it. We want to keep the flavor, and the aroma and ice frost may affect the wine’s taste. Once the corkcicle is cold enough, proceed to step 2.
- Open the wine bottle: Do not keep the wine bottle open for a long time. Proceed to the next step right after you open the wine bottle. Oh, you may smell it to feed your wine cravings.
- Use the corkcicle as a replacement for the wine cork: The metal connected to the cork serves as the ice that will give a chilling effect to your wine.The good thing is, like the metal wine stones, the corkcicle can last around 45 minutes to an hour. Plus, it is put directly inside the wine bottle. This means the corkcicle will keep the wine inside the wine bottle chilled for roughly an hour. Thus, you will feel at ease about your wine getting warm before drinking it.
Note: Some corkcicle has a spout in them for you to quickly pour the wine into your glass.
Method 4. The Ice Jacket Method
The ice jacket method in our how-to-chill wine fast list is a modern way that most people find interesting and effective to chill wine quickly.
The ice jacket comes in every size and can mostly fit any wine bottle regardless of its size. It also has a gel pack that acts as a cooling system for the jacket, and just like the other wine cooling system listed above, the ice jacket is reusable as often as you want.
- Freeze the ice jacket: Follow the freezing time of at least 2 hours for best results.
- Put the ice jacket into the wine bottle: Wait for at least 10 minutes before pouring your wine into the wine glass.
- Pour the wine into your favorite wine glass and enjoy the drink
Method 5. The Spinning Method
This is the best method in our how to chill wine fast list. The spinning method was believed to cool the wine faster than the other methods listed above, as it will take 2 to 3 minutes to bring down the wine’s warm temperature to its ideal temperature.
Fortunately, you do not need extra tools to perform this spinning method and bring down the wine’s temperature. All you need to prepare are the following:
- Wine Bottle
- Cold Water
- Ice (Optional)
- Prepare the bucket: The bucket and the wine bottle must have the same height. If you can’t find one, use a bucket that can cover ¾ of the wine bottle.
- Put the cold water into the bucket: Do not fill the entire bucket with water. The water level must be ¾ of the bucket’s height to avoid spilling the water when you start spinning the wine bottle.
- Add the salt: The water that we will use in this method is salt water. Thus, you need to add enough salt to make an excellent salt-water mixture. You may put 35 g of salt in every 1,000 g of water. Stir the mixture until the salt is dissolved.
- Put the ice into the bucket (optional): Only add ice to the mixture if the water is not cold enough for the chilling method.
- Put the wine bottle into the bucket
- Spin the bottle: Hold the wine bottle’s tip, start spinning it, and let science do the rest. Spin it for 3 minutes to achieve the ideal coldness of the wine.
- Remove the cork and enjoy the wine: Spinning the wine bottle into the salted ice water allows the cold water to chill the wine fast. The acceleration and the direction of the liquid inside the bottle when you spin it increases the transfer rate of heat to at least 20 times faster.
How to chill wine fast is all about science. The faster the heat is transferred, the faster you get your wine chilled. Thus, you can use the methods above depending on how much time you have before you drink it or serve it to your guests!